nutrition, lifestyle, editor’s choice
Eating health: the best vegetarian foods
- The types of vegetarianism
Distribution in the world
- In our time
- Impact on health
Useful and affordable vegetarian foods
- Green leafy vegetables: cabbage, parsley, dill, spinach
- Beets Georgian
- Carrots Moroccan
- Carpaccio of radish
1 October is world vegetarian day. Vegetarianism is a way of eating that uses plant food and meat is prohibited. In the modern world, this diet has become increasingly popular.
The types of vegetarianism
There are different types of vegetarianism (below they are listed from less severe to more severe).
- Ovo-lacto-vegetarianism. Do not eat meat, fish and seafood as well as poultry. Dairy food and eggs is possible.
- Ovo-vegetarianism. Excluded meat, fish, seafood, poultry. Eggs you can eat dairy products not.
- Lacto-vegetarianism. Disclaimer same as above. You can eat dairy, eggs impossible.
- Veganism. Prohibited any food of animal origin: meat, poultry, fish, seafood, milk, eggs.
- A raw food diet. Used only raw plant foods without any processing.
- Fructarians. You can eat only raw fruits, berries, nuts and seeds.
Distribution in the world
Vegetarian nutrition system is known since ancient times. The wide distribution it received in India. There is now about 40 % of the population are adherents of plant foods.
In European countries, this phenomenon occurred in the mid-nineteenth century. Then in England appeared the first community of people practicing this system of supply.
Then it came to Russia. By the end of the XIX century in the capital of the Russian Empire opened a vegetarian society, have become vegetarian catering establishments.
A great influence on the prominence of vegetarianism in Russia had Tolstoy, who was an avid follower of this food system. Widely known for his statement: “Ten years cow feeding you and your children, and the sheep clothed and warmed his fur. What them for this award? Slit my throat and eat me?”.
In our time
According to statistics, vegetarians are most often female. Them twice more than men.
Commitment to this diet speak for young people up to 24 or 25.
But the older generation rarely it chooses, the elderly are staunch opponents of the abandonment of meat food.
In Russia 4% of the population fully adhere to this way of eating. 55% of people approve of it, though they do not practice.
Nowadays from the European countries most vegetarians in Italy. There is this way of eating is practiced by 10% of the population. This is not surprising: the Mediterranean region year-round gives you the opportunity to eat fresh vegetables and fruits of excellent quality.
Impact on health
Some people believe that the lack of animal food has a harmful effect on the functioning of the body. Others hold the opposite opinion.
In different years the research was conducted, which investigated the impact of the vegetarian system of nutrition on the human body. That showed their results.
- Vegetarians have good health, their performance is better than that of the General population.
- The need for protein for vegetarians is provided by plant foods. It can be found in soybeans (and products thereof), buckwheat, beans, peas, lentils. Non-strict vegetarians get their protein from dairy foods and eggs.
- Blood pressure for vegetarians is lower than other people. The risk of cardiovascular disease among them 32% lower than those who eat meat food.
- People who adhere to this diet, twice less likely to develop type II diabetes.
- They have a less common cancer.
- They appear much less frequently kidney stones.
- Their nervous system is more calm and balanced than the meat-lovers food. They are little exposed to negative emotions.
- The weight of people eating plant foods is lower than that of those committed to a meat diet.
- They also live longer.
By practicing vegetarianism, it is necessary to listen carefully to the reactions. The bigotry here can be a disservice.
Vegans who consume only plant foods, and raw foodists are experiencing an acute shortage of vitamin B12 and iron. Vitamin B12 is necessary to take in medications. This is very important! His absence in the diet can lead to unpleasant consequences, in particular, depression and the death of nerve cells resulting in tingling and numbness of the limbs.
Iron deficiency leads to anemia (anemia). This is expressed in weakness, paleness, reduced productivity, headaches, memory loss, frequent colds.
The content of iron in the lead such plant foods as beans, pumpkin, and sesame seeds, whole grains, parsley, lettuce and apples (according to scientists, the spinach was added to the list by mistake).
Strict vegetarians should ensure that their diet is present a sufficient amount of vitamin C. most vitamin C is found in citrus fruits, rosehips, sea buckthorn, bell peppers, black currants, and parsley. Strict followers of vegetarian nutrition need to take extra calcium and vitamin D.
Useful and affordable vegetarian foods
Below we will focus on the foods that are available all year round on the shelves of our stores and affordable.
- Raw carrots are good for digestion, contains a lot of fiber, relieves constipation.
- Has choleretic and diuretic effect, cleanses the kidneys and liver.
- A favorable effect on the cardiovascular system.
- Reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Useful for vision.
- Is an antioxidant, prevents aging.
- Establishes the gastro-intestinal tract, relieves constipation, prevents inflammation in the intestines.
- Acts saillagouse gastric ulcer.
- Cleanse the liver.
- Strengthens blood vessels, makes them more elastic and prevents atherosclerosis.
- Useful in hypertension, lowers blood pressure.
- Contains a lot of iodine, helpful for thyroid.
- Useful for hematopoiesis, it increases the number of red blood cells.
- Effectively cleanses the liver and gallbladder, promotes the flow of bile.
- Having anti-parasitic activity.
- Reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Beneficial for the cardiovascular system.
- Contains fiber, improves digestion, stimulates intestinal motility.
- Increases fat metabolism, promotes weight loss.
- Increases immunity and resistance to infections.
- Has a bactericidal effect.
- Otharkivajushche operates, cleans the bronchi and lungs.
The Egyptians valued the healing properties of the radish. They depicted it on the walls of temples and pyramids. The ancient Greeks also gave it to her. They paid for it as much gold as it weighed, and gave her a Golden bowl.
Green leafy vegetables: cabbage, parsley, dill, spinach
- Are a strong antioxidant, prevent aging.
- Prevent the appearance of tumors.
- Promote the growth of beneficial microflora in the gut.
- Cleanse the urinary system, prevent the appearance of sand and stones.
- Low in calories, promote weight loss.
- Strengthen the immune system.
- Useful for visual acuity.
- Low in calories, help to maintain a healthy weight.
- Contain a lot of iron, useful for blood, prevent anemia.
- Increase hemoglobin, is indispensable for the blood loss.
- Good for the heart.
- Strengthen the walls of blood vessels and capillaries.
- Regulate the activity of endocrine glands, useful for thyroid.
- Have a diuretic effect, cleanses the kidneys
- Enhance stamina.
- Rich in pectin, bind and excrete harmful substances.
- Rich in fiber, normalize the activity of the digestive tract, purify the colon.
- Have a rejuvenating effect.
- Important for brain, activates his work, increase the speed of mental processes.
- Improve memory and attention.
- Beneficial for the nervous system,
- Beneficial for the cardiovascular system, prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Counteract the formation of cholesterol plaques in the blood vessels.
- Preventing the development of multiple sclerosis.
- A beneficial effect on the activity of the reproductive system, increase the potency.
- Are a powerful antioxidant that slow down aging.
- Useful for vegetarians make up for the lack of iron in their diet.
- Is a strong immune system, increases resistance to viruses and infections.
- Strengthens blood vessels, improves their elasticity.
- Beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system.
- It also normalizes blood pressure.
- Improves bowel activity.
- Normalizes the liver.
- Effectively restores power
- Is a natural antiseptic and wound healing remedy.
- Helps in the treatment of colds.
Honey can soothe a hangover. To get rid of unpleasant symptoms, spread a piece of white bread with a layer of honey and eat slowly and carefully as he ate. Shortly your condition will improve.
Cook until soft 4 beets. Peel, cut into thin slices or grate on a coarse grater.
Finely chop a bunch of parsley or dill. A couple of cloves of garlic skip through the press. 1 onion cut into thin rings.
All this add to the beets.
Dress the salad with a small amount of vegetable oil. Add tkemali sauce (or spicy ketchup).
Add salt, pepper and mix well (taste of the salad should be spicy).
Peel 5 carrots and cut them into thin slices.
Boil 1 Cup of water, add salt and boil in it sliced carrots until soft, then drain.
Add to the carrots 1 tbsp adjika, chopped 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp. chopped lemon pulp (without peel and seeds), 30 g of olive oil, 1 tbsp vinegar, a pinch of shredded herbs (cilantro, parsley, etc.). Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and refrigerate for a few hours so that the salad is well soaked. If necessary, before serving add a little more salt.
Carpaccio of radish
RUB on a small grater, zest from 1 lemon and 1 lime. Then squeeze the juice from them.
Lemon and lime juice, add 1 tablespoon (without top) grated zest and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
Then finely chop 1 onion and fill it with lemon-lime sauce. Mix everything carefully.
Clear 1 black radish and cut it into circles as thin as possible (this will require a sharp knife). Place them on a plate.
Pour the cooked radish sauce. Add salt, pepper and sprinkle a small amount of chopped green onions.
Inna Kriksunov, author of over three dozen books on beauty and healthy lifestyle
How to practice vegetarianism? Start with the basics. Then can try every method, then you will see which one suits you best.
Watch the reaction of the body. At first, it is useful to keep a diary noting your reactions.
Avoid fanaticism, do not get the severe restrictions. If you broke down and went a little overboard, don’t beat yourself up. Most importantly, get back on the right path.
When you are away, do not tire people with stories of your diet. Don’t advertise their eating habits, do not draw to them special attention.
Eat what is served, choosing something that suits you. It is better to break rules than to offend the hostess, who was tried for the guests.
Veganism and the raw food diet is perfectly cleanses the body and prolong youth. Veganism can be practiced constantly. A raw food diet it is better to practice courses: 3 day, week, month. If it goes well, you can practice it longer. It is very effective in the fight against obesity.
Advantages of vegetarianism are that it improves health, gives you a youthfulness, a gleam in his eyes, a positive view of the world. Proven years of experience!
Take the quizCorrectly you eat?
What is your diet and how correct mode of eating? Take the test and find out what mistakes should take note.