Many have heard that coffee raises blood pressure and that high blood pressure is bad. From these two premises, according to the rules of a simple syllogism, we can conclude that drinking coffee is bad. Many, again, have heard that coffee is caffeine, caffeine is a drug, and that drugs are bad. “Socrates is a man, all men are mortal,” therefore? Right!
On the other hand, this bitter drink, which makes our hearts beat faster, more often and harder, tends to be liked by a fairly large number of people, not excluding the author of this opus. What to do? The age-old Russian question … Research, of course, research, we will answer and summarize all the pros and cons we know.
Not right away. We will not generalize right away. First, we will make a small lyrical digression, since the genre allows it. The classic question (one of) is: “I have two news. One is good, the other is bad. Where to start? ” So I always ask you to tell me the bad one first. Surely a competent psychologist, already on this fact, could tell me a lot about myself. And as a child, I first ate what I needed, and left the tasty ones for last. Who else did that?
By the way, I know a couple of anecdotes about two news stories. And by the way, as the most observant readers will notice, heroes do not always choose to hear the bad news first. So.
– Alo, dear, I have two news: good and bad.
– (doomed) Well, start with a good one.
– (solemnly) The airbag went off! ..
Wife to husband:
“I have two news for you: good and bad.
– Well, what are they?
– I’m leaving you …
– So, so … And the bad one?
Secretary to chief:
– I have two news for you, one good, the other bad. Where do we start?
– With a good one, of course.
– Well. You and I, Alexander Vladimirovich, as it turned out, do not suffer from infertility.
– I have two news: good and bad.
– Come on first good!
– The good news is that I won’t tell you bad.
– And the bad one?
– And the bad – that I will not say good
Let’s start by praying … (As you remember, the author is inclined to find out the worst things first, so that later it will only get better. Naive … Even Uncle Murphy said that it is never so bad that later it could not be even worse.)
Cons of coffee:
1. Coffee is bad for the heart as it increases blood pressure and the risk of heart disease. Hypertensive patients, beware!
2. Coffee washes out calcium. Calcium is needed for bones, without it they become fragile and the risk of fractures increases. Calcium is found in dairy products, such as cottage cheese, so this coffee minus can be neutralized quite easily.
3. Coffee dehydrates the body, because it has a strong diuretic properties. So, if you like coffee, it would be nice to remember that the rate of water consumption for an adult is about 1.5-2 liters per day. Every cup of coffee you drink must be compensated with water.
4. Coffee contains caffeine, which is a drug
Pros of coffee:
1. Coffee is good for the heart. Our strengths are an extension of our weaknesses. Firstly, there are people whose blood pressure is too low, and they just need to increase it. Hypotonic! Your hour has come. Secondly, coffee is healthy because it is an antioxidant. In addition, it is believed that coffee is good for some people and bad for others.
2. Improves concentration, focus and short-term memory. “American scientists conducted a study” and found that students who were given a cup of coffee before the exam, solved problems faster and more correctly (the difference was about 10-15%) than those who were not given. Students! Well, you get the idea, right? The improvement has a short-term effect and is not cumulative.
3. Improves the functioning of the digestive tract.
4. Improves mood. I would never have thought, but “American scientists” (I don’t know if they are the same or others) again “conducted a study” and found that among people who regularly drink coffee, the percentage of suicides is much lower, from which they are, as expected scientists, concluded.
5. Coffee can be useful for Parkinson’s disease, liver disease and diabetes, and prevents cancer.
6. Contains substances useful for the body: potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
7. Improves eyesight. Author’s item. From the series How to Measure the Height of a Building with a Barometer: Break – Rest for the Eyes.
The truth, as always (no, this time not in wine, but in coffee), is somewhere in between. First, “researchers have not yet come to a consensus,” and secondly, almost any substance can be both a medicine and a poison. It all depends on the dosage. For example, for water, this is a couple of liters per day or a bucket in one gulp. For coffee, the norm is slightly less, but the principle is the same.
Drinking liters of coffee and “intravenous caffeine” is possible, but not for long. Not drinking at all is also possible, but you should not artificially limit yourself. A cup or two a day is just that. So both the benefits of coffee and the harm of coffee are conventional concepts.