These exercises can successfully be used to restore the normal functioning of the lumbar spine, strengthen paravertebral corset, improve coordination of the various segments of the spine and stretching the piriformis muscle spazmirovannah.
In some cases, the cause of the pinched sciatic nerve is a spasm of the m.piriformis. The disease is called piriformis syndrome. The piriformis muscle (m.piriformis) is attached to the sacrum and femur, and, like any muscle, it can grow and strain. The piriformis muscle passes under the gluteal muscle and on sciatic nerve. Its function is to hold the knee and foot are deployed forward when walking, and it takes a modest part in the abduction of the thigh.
About the disease of the sciatic nerve
A pinched spazmirovannah piriformis muscle the sciatic nerve can cause inflammation, which is associated with the spread of pain in the back side of the same leg.
The pain usually arises: from the hard work, excessive training in the gym, long running, prolonged sitting, and from various injuries and wounds.
Marked local tenderness on deep palpation in the center of the buttocks play of numbness, paresthesias (sensations of numbness, tingling, pins and needles) in the lower leg, foot and buttock in the area of innervation of the sciatic nerve.
The blockade of the piriformis muscle novocaine greatly facilitates the condition. Bonn positive symptom – strengthening of pain in the prone position while bringing the bent knee joint of the leg (V. F. Kuznetsov, 2004).
Confirm piriformis syndrome can be the symptoms, and also by using the MTR (tomography may show depleted or overused piriformis muscle), there is a new method of neuroimaging.
What is the cause of piriformis syndrome?
- Weak gluteal muscles, resulting in the piriformis muscle increasing the load.
- Subluxation in the hip and the sacroiliac joint, which puts an additional load on the piriformis.
- The lowering of the foot (ankle) inward when walking, again, excessively involve the piriformis muscle.
- A pinched nerve root at the level of the first sacral vertebra leads to pathological tension the piriformis muscle.
- Injury (bruise, wound), which can lead to muscle tear (in this case, the exercises of yoga for stretching muscles can be ineffective).
How exercise can help?
- First, the soft traction clenched muscles will help her to relax.
- Second, improve the blood circulation in the area of the pinched sciatic nerve.
- Thirdly, to help achieve total relaxation, which will lead to the private relaxation of the muscles.
- Fourth, to improve the functioning of the sacral iliac joint and the hip joints.
It should be noted that these exercises are complementary. Need to receive comprehensive treatment by a neurologist and use the exercises only as an important addition.
Manual therapy, in particular PIR (post isometric relaxation) can help to relax spazmirovannah muscle.
Sure the positive massage the affected buttock, or self-massage with the help of rolling on the tennis ball.
Exercises under the piriformis syndrome
Note that all exercises should be done slowly and carefully, if you have the opportunity be sure to visit the classes of a qualified instructor to understand how to perform the exercises. The breathing should be quiet and slow, without delay. You should breathe with your nose.
Don’t do exercises in patients with knee and hip joints, after operations, which is prohibited in physical exercise during pregnancy.
It should be added that a pinched sciatic nerve can be triggered by the “circuit” of the nerve roots at the level of the lumbar vertebrae.
- To sit on a rug or Mat and straighten the legs. Alternately pulling your buttocks with your hands back and sit on the ischial bones. Bend the right leg at the knee and placed next to the knee of the left leg.
- With the in-breath to pull the left hand straight up. Exhaling, bring the left elbow over your right knee and your right hand back and put your fingers on the floor behind the back.
Keep your back straight! The shoulder girdle is parallel to the floor. Look directly over your left shoulder. There should be no pain.
- To carry the curl for 15-20 deep breaths. With the in-breath return to the starting position, relax, switch legs and do the twist in the other direction.
For the best stretching the piriformis muscle in the foot of the bent leg can be moved over the knee straight.
- Sitting on a Mat bend your left leg and place the heel near the hip joint of the right foot, the right foot to get over the knee of the left.
- With the in-breath to pull the left arm up, exhale, make your palm over your right knee to turn the head and look directly over your left shoulder.
- Hold a comfortable position for 15-20 relaxing breaths. Hold the attention to General relaxation.
Perhaps a few provisions left hand:
- it’s simple – put the palm on the right thigh,
- a more complex option to get the elbow over the knee,
- another option wound up with a elbow, take a palm to the hip joint of the right leg,
- next – move hand to the right foot and to cling to it
- one is to clasp your left hand right knee right arm to get back and make the castle of the fingers.
Follow the option in which you can relax.
Run the situation by changing legs and hands in the opposite direction.
A good tool in the practice of Buda mirror. If possible, do the exercise in front of a mirror.
These exercises can successfully be used to restore the normal functioning of the lumbar spine, strengthen paravertebral corset, improve coordination of the various segments of the spine and traction spazmirovannah the piriformis muscle (Musculus piriformis).
- Stretched out to lie on his back, arms out to the sides at the level of the shoulder girdle. Bend knees, feet to put a bit more than the width of the pelvis.
- On the exhale, send the knees to the right side, keeping a comfortable state without pain. With the inhale lift your knees to your original position and exhale to repeat to the other side.
Note that there was no pain in the knees, hip joints, abdomen and back.
The same exercise, only with the position allotted to the knee for 10-15 calm and deep breaths. This option is suitable for stretching ilio-psoas muscle.
If the retention of the allotted knees connected with discomfort, then put them under a stack of books or other similar object. Straighten the top leg to the side and location it on the floor or on a support will contribute to stretching the piriformis muscle, which can be used with the pinching of the sciatic nerve piriformis.
For stretching the piriformis muscle exercise with twisted legs. Stretched out to lie on your back, bend your knees right leg “wrap” the left leg. On the exhale, send the legs to the right side and linger in a comfortable position for 10-15 calm and deep breaths. With inhalation raise the legs to the original position, change the cross of your legs (now the right foot comes to the left) and perform the same twist in the other direction.
Exercise difficult, especially for beginners.
- Pull up a chair. Stand so that you can lean a hand on the chair.
- Put your right foot along the rug and deploy the left at 45 degrees and place it at a distance of one metre from the right (heels on the same line or slightly apart for stability).
- Exhale lower the left hand on a chair, raise your right hand up and look at the right palm. The higher the stand under the left arm, the easier it will be to perform the exercise.
- Do the exercises without pain!
- Hold the exercise for 15-20 relaxing breaths. Focus on total relaxation.
- With the in-breath stand up and do the exercise in the other side, changing arms and legs.
When exercise occurs the diagonal stretching the piriformis muscle.
Too difficult exercise and it is necessary to prepare two chairs. Set up the chairs so that one could put palm and the other fingers of the outstretched leg.
- Put both palms on one chair and your left leg straight on the other.
- With the in-breath slowly raise your right hand up, look at the palm. Hold the exercise for 15-20 relaxing breaths.
- Exhaling, lower your right arm on the chair, switch legs and repeat twisting to the other side.
When the exercise is stretching the piriformis muscle in the horizontal plane.
- To sit on a Mat, bending your left leg and pulling your right foot back. Please note, that the pelvis was forward deployed. If the pelvis is filled up, then put under the left buttock folded blanket.
- Take a stack of books or other similar items and put them on both sides of the pelvis.
- Try to keep your back vertically, if you experience discomfort in the back, bring items forward a bit to the back bent. This will help to remove tension from the lower back.
- Please note, to avoid pain in the hip joints and knees! Try to relax your legs, concentrate on total relaxation.
- Hold the exercise for 15-20 breaths. Then slowly switch legs and repeat the exercise.
The result of this exercise stretches the muscles of the buttocks, including the piriformis.
Exercise heel to the knee.
- To sit on a Mat. Slightly bent right leg.
- Then slowly bend the left leg and put the heel to your right knee. If you have too much bend the right leg, at the heel of the left foot, there may be discomfort in the knee joint, which should be avoided. If there is discomfort in the knee, then slightly straighten the right leg.
- Palms put behind you and start slowly to push hands the chest to the left leg.
- Watch to avoid painful sensations in the knee. Try with each breath to send a calm to the area left buttock.
- Perform the exercise for 15-20 breaths.
The result of this exercise stretches the muscles of the buttocks, including the piriformis.
Possible options exercises heel-to-knee — sitting on a chair and lying on the back.
Exercise strap on the foot foot to the side. Prepare the strap (you can take a towel, strap or tie).
- Stretched out, as shown here, lie down on the Mat.
- Take the belt in your left hand, bend right leg and throw a strap on the heel.
- To straighten the leg, adjust the length of the strap, to avoid painful sensations in the back of the legs.
- Exhale send your right foot to the left.
- If there is no discomfort in the buttock, the right foot can be lowered to the floor, if there is, put your foot on the stand (a chair, etc.), so that there is pain in the buttocks.
- With inhale raise your right leg, bend it and drop it on the Mat.
- After resting, repeat the same with the left foot to the right side.
Prepare a stack of books or. the subject.
- To sit on a Mat cross-legged.
- Leaning on hands, rise a little on his knees. Maximum sblist the knee (one knee on top of the other), and the heel should be sent to the parties.
- Using your hands, sit on the floor (or on the subject). There should not be pain.
- Hold the exercise for 15-20 relaxing breaths.
- Then follow with the other leg on top.
- Lie on your back motionless. This provision eliminates the fatigue that appears after other exercises, and soothes emmotsii.
- Stretch it, as shown here, and lie on your back. Relax completely. Observe the incoming and outgoing breaths.
The duration of the exercise start with 5 minutes and complete a set of exercises, relaxation for 15-20 minutes.
- Do those exercises that do not cause pain and are good at it.
- If any exercise you are not given the pain appear, then skip it.
- If you are a beginner, it is best to take a few individual lessons or consultations from an experienced instructor. published econet.ru.